National Museum of Fine Arts (MNBA)
In 1879, the sculptor José Miguel Blanco published an article in the Chilean Magazine stating the need to create a Museum of Fine Arts in Chile, in order to collect works that were scattered in various institutional buildings. His concern was addressed and on September 18, 1880, under the presidency of Aníbal Pinto, the National Museum of Paintings was founded and was installed at the National Congress.
Its first director was the painter Juan Mochi. In 1901, the government held an architectural competition for the construction project of the Museum and School of Fine Arts, whose winner was the Chilean-French architect Émile Jéquier. As part of the celebrations of the Centenary of Chile, the Palace of Fine Arts, which housed the Museum and the School, was inaugurated on September 21, 1910. For the occasion, a large International Exhibition was organized that featured works of art from from fourteen invited countries through their respective embassies.
The MNBA is a cultural institution with free access and preserves collections of Chilean and foreign art from the viceregal period to the present, adding more than six thousand pieces. The Museum makes exhibits of its collection, as well as temporary exhibitions dedicated to national and foreign collections and artists of recognized trajectory, both local and international.