It is the seat of the Executive Power and one of the most representative symbols of the country's political history.
Designed by architect Joaquín Toesca, this palace is the main work of neoclassicism in Chile. It was inaugurated in 1805 to serve as the headquarters of the Royal Mint of Santiago, intended for the minting of coins. In 1846, President Manuel Bulnes moved the government house to that building, being the first President to inhabit it. The last one was Carlos Ibáñez del Campo, in 1958.
Likewise, it became the scene of one of the most decisive events in the history of Chile, such as the bombing that suffered on September 11, 1973. After that fact, a group of architects restored it, maintaining the original lines designed by Toesca .
Since then it has undergone some changes, such as having been painted white at the end of the last century, or the remodeling of the Citizenship Square, under which the Palacio La Moneda Cultural Center was built. It was declared a National Monument in 1951.
Almacruz Hotel is located just 8 minutes from the Palacio de la Moneda.